About This Recipe
This recipe is going to be a little unconventional. I made this vegan zucchini lasagna recipe using two of my other recipes. The “I can’t believe it’s tofu turkey meat” recipe, the “no oil vegan cheese sauce” recipe, and I used some leftover storebought pasta sauce I had in the fridge.
I wasn’t planning on posting this recipe because of this reason. It was just a creation from the leftovers I had in the fridge. But, the lasagna turned out so good that I had to make a blog post about it and share it.
Fortunately, even with the extra steps, it is all very easy to make. It just takes some time including prep, cooking, and baking. So this is great for a family dinner or a get together with friends. Even just for yourself if you have time to kill. But I promise you that the result is worth the extra time and work.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees Celsius). I used an 8X8 metal baking pan. I did not use any non-stick spray or butter and I didn’t have a problem with clean up.
To Start Vegan Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
Slice the zucchini as thinly as you can. I happened to have this handy tool that you see in the photo but you can just use a knife or potato peeler if you have one. Keep in mind the thicker the zucchini is the longer it will take to bake.
I had half of a very large zucchini from a neighbor’s garden for this recipe. I would say it was the equivalent of two large zucchinis you would find at the grocery store. So I think two large zucchinis will be sufficient for this recipe.
Now you can start to layer the zucchini pieces, the tofu turkey meat, and the pasta sauce. I used Roa’s Marinara Sauce but you can use your favorite pasta sauce. This is not sponsored by Roa’s but the sauce is pretty good if you want to give it a try. It’s also in a variety of grocery stores and easy to find hence why I chose to link it.
Note: Leave out the cheese sauce until the end because this cheese sauce does not bake well.
Place in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. The time depends on how thick your zucchini is. When you can easily pierce the zucchini with a fork then the lasagna is done baking. I accidentally had some thicker pieces so it did take a little longer to bake.
Turn off the oven. Take out the lasagna and put the cheese sauce on top. Then put the lasagna back in for one to two minutes for the sauce to heat up.
Take it out and it’s finished. This lasagna is good hot or cold and you can freeze it and just reheat it in the microwave too.
Vegan Zucchini Lasagna
- Prepare turkey tofu and vegan cheese sauce. Place the cheese sauce in the fridge while preparing lasagna.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees Celsius).
- Slice the zucchini into thin strips.
- Layer 8X8 metal baking pan with zucchini, tofu turkey, and pasta sauce. Do not use the cheese sauce yet.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the zucchini is soft.
- Turn off the oven.
- Remove the lasagna and add the cheese sauce layer.
- Place lasagna back into the oven for 1 to 2 minutes to heat the cheese sauce. Serve and Enjoy!
Receive the latest posts and newsletters via email
No Oil Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup Cashews
- ¾ cup Water
- ⅔ cup Nutritional Yeast
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ¾ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 pinch Tumeric
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Soak the cashews in water for about 10 to 20 minutes or soak overnight for a smoother texture. I wait 10 minutes because I am impatient.
- Save 3/4 cup of the cashew water and drain the rest of the cashew water.
- Put the cashews in a blender/food processor with the 3/4 cup of water you put aside.
- Add all spices to the blender.
- Blend until sauce is creamy and has no bumps.
- Eat right away or store in the fridge. If stored in the fridge the sauce will be even smoother and tastier the next day!
I Can’t Believe it’s Tofu Turkey Meat
- 16 ounces Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 tsp Cumin
- ½ cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 ½ tsp Onion Powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Vegetable Oil enough to cover the base of the pan
- Press tofu. This takes about 30 minutes.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands or with a fork.
- Line the pan with oil and heat at a medium-high heat.
- Add the tofu and spices into the pan.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Occasionally stir with a wooden spoon or wooden spatula.
- Finished once light brown and crispy. Enjoy!